Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Play with your food!



When I first got cable a few years ago, I was all over the Food Network. I fell head over heals with Nigella and Jamie and all the tasty things they could create in just a half hour show. But then my interest waned. Every time I turned on the tv, I'd be faced with that ungodly smile beast (aka Rachel Ray) and would literally shudder and click away as fast as I could. Sure, I did manage to discover the lovely nature goddess Ina who for the first while totally puzzled me with her name. Ina Garten? Was it just some fancy Germanic/Dutch way of saying "In a Garden"? After all, she always seemed to be picking fresh herbs or carrying handfulls of fresh flowers.

But lately, there is a new show that is calling me back to the realm of the Food Network and that show is Food Jammers. It's basically 3 thirty something artist dudes who take a crazy idea to build something out of trash and bike parts (or whatever) and then cook. I've seen them make and cook up a 10 foot sausage for a backyard barbeque and make a deep fryer out of car parts. Great music, great animations, and great ideas make a most perfect tv show. It's about time!

Check them out on the web:
Their website (it's awesome!)
The Food Network Food Jammers site

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger jenn said...

my hubby and I watch the food jammers everyweek too :) LOVE that show!

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, cooking shows...I get so hungry watching them...the Barefoot Contessa, Everyday Italian, Chef at Home...some of my favourites.

I've watched a couple of episodes of Food Jammers and I have to say that it's the perfect show to turn me off food - forever.

Who wants to eat pasta after it's been extruded from a car part?

On the other hand, watching this show might help me shed those dreaded 10 pounds...heh :)

8:24 PM  
Blogger kickpleat said...

Jenn, i love it and can never remember when it's on!

haha, tania! i love the creative spirit, plus they're cute!!

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh! Let me chime in here - I'm new to you but love your site. An ex-Vancouverite and fellow foodie, although not as much now as I'd like with a toddler running the show. Anyway - I must join forces with you against the ridiculous Rachel Ray! My mother just gave me one of her cookbooks for a b-day present, and all the way through I couldn't figure out what she meant by EVOO in all the ingredient lists. EVOO? What the f**k is EVOO? Is she endorsing some new form of MSG or something? Then I figured it out: it's her supercute, wink-wink, self-brand-building abbreviation for extra virgin olive oil (insert massive groan here).

Anyway - glad to see I'm not the only one suffering from saccharine o.d. in this respect! Cheers
Kate

5:57 AM  
Blogger kickpleat said...

thanks so much kate! i agree entirely about miz ray. i hate that "evoo" thing too. argh!!

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto! I feel the same way as you ladies do about Ms. EVOO YUM-O!
I no longer subscribe to cable TV and cannot watch the Food Channel, but I certainly don't miss R.R's show(s) one iota. Cheers!

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home