Thursday, April 30, 2009

a quick seattle run-down

This is pretty much a quick run-down of everything we shoved into our mouths & gullets and where we laid of heads while in Seattle. Our mission was to vacation on the cheap and I think we managed quite nicely.

Sleep
First off, we got a great deal off Priceline and stayed at the Silver Cloud Stadium hotel. It had a rooftop pool & hot tub and the rooms were super clean, cozy, luxurious and comfortable. The only downside was the location which was too far from everything (but we did make use of their awesome free shuttle) and our Sunday morning wake-up call (that we had requested the night before) didn't arrive. Luckily, we woke up with the help of the ipod docking clock radio.

Coffee
Our first coffee run was in Freemont at Cafe Vita. It was nice enough to sit outside. I had an iced Americano and Cornelius had drip coffee. Delicious. Our next cafe sit down was in Capitol Hill at Victrola Coffee. We were instantly smitten with the painted signage and the airy open space inside was lovely. Again, I had an iced Americano while C had a latte. Yum!

Beer
We loved the Elysian Brewing Co. in Capitol Hill. I've been there before, but it was lovely being back. Their beers are wonderful. I stuck with IPAs (they make a fantastic floral Jasmine IPA and a very hoppy Immortal IPA) while C went with the porters and also tried their seasonal pepper-spiced Poivre white beer. Delicious! The only bummer was when we tried to visit the Elsyian Fields close to our hotel Sunday night. Despite their website saying they were open, sadly, they were closed. We weeped openly.

Eats
Señor Moose. Oh my! Fresh, authentic and delicious. I was warned by Brandon to order limes and add salt. I did just that. Perfect.

Cafe Besalu. Rich, buttery European-style bakery but better than anything I've had in Europe. It's that good. I had the ginger biscuit and an almond croissant. Yum! If I could have a ginger biscuit delivered to my desk every morning I would want for nothing.

Dick's. High marks for my first rootbeer float of the season. Not bad at $1.90. Cornelius also shared fries and a burger. Dicks, it's cheap, it's tasty and it's a Seattle institution.

The 5-Point Cafe. This is not a cafe. This is a dirty dive bar. They're open 24 hrs and some might find it sketchy. I find it endearing. I've been here before late at night, but this time we decided to go for breakfast. Cornelius ordered the famous chicken friend steak & eggs and I had to quit my breakfast mid-way just to help him eat it since it was so gigantic and so freakin' delicious. Best chicken fried steak ever. Obviously, this is not the place to eat if you are looking to eat healthy.

Top Pot Donuts. Donuts. What more can I say? They were sweet and tasty, but I like Lee's Donuts in Vancouver way better. However, the box they packaged up our donuts in? Too cute!!

Labels: , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Maija said...

I've definitely had some fun times at the Five Spot (I may or may not have left something hanging there once - if you've been there, you may know what I mean! - which really is not something I normally would do). Sounds like a great trip & is making me want to visit Seattle especially on a beautiful day like today.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Maija said...

Doh, 5 Point that is. I think the Five Spot is another great breakfast joint on Queen Anne that has a different menu every month (focused on a particular country/culture).

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Melinda Stanley said...

I've just eaten supper, but somehow you've managed to make me hungry again... for everything! ;)

Great post and wonderful photos!

4:04 PM  
Blogger Ange Friesen said...

Gasp! How have I never been to Lee's Donuts?

Have you been to the donut place in Deep Cove? I keep hearing about it...

4:31 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Sounds like you had a great gastronomical experience in Seattle. I'm jealous ;) We just did our income taxes and came to the realization that we have to curb our eating out in TO in order to plan a vacation to either New York or Seattle/Washington/Portland/Oregon in 2009! Or...I need to find a higher paying job. Bah!

7:58 AM  
Blogger kickpleat said...

Maija, I've been to the 5Spot too in Queen Anne, but I wasn't too fond of it. Maybe I went on a bad month!

Thanks Melinda!

Ange ella, get yourself to Lee's! I've heard about that donut place too...must go!

Bijoux, it was fun! Ah, income taxes, the killer of dreams. I know how you feel.

11:42 AM  
Blogger LShields said...

I've read a few of your posts and really enjoyed your writing style!
Because of your talent, I have just nominated you to receive the “When Life Gives You Lemons” blog award. Even if this is not your first award, please, come to my blog and claim your little bit of sunshine! Congratulations!

1:54 PM  
Anonymous hag said...

jasmine IPA?! Yummmm. Gotta get myself down to Seattle. Sounds like you had a fantastic trip...thanks for all the tasty tips!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Completely agree with you about the divine ginger biscuits from Cafe Besalu. Also the savory gruyere and onion tart is worth trying.

6:01 PM  
Blogger kickpleat said...

LShields, thanks for the award!!

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home