Tuesday, August 19, 2008

the upside to low expectations

It seems like every single movie I've watched lately, I've actually liked. What's up with that critical eye I like to think I have? Maybe I'm just lazy because of the heat or my expectations are so gosh darn low, but man, I've seen some good movies lately.

Here's a list of a few movies that I've watched recently.
  • Batman Begins. This is the very first Batman movie I've seen. I really liked it and now I can't wait to see the new one.
  • Eagle vs Shark. When this came out I really wanted to see it and then I heard bad things about it, so I didn't. Low expectations whatever, I liked it. Plus it stars my favorite big-lipped New Zealander, Jemaine. Swoon!
  • The Future is Unwritten. This movie made me like the Clash just a little bit less, Joe Strummer, especially. I saw another Clash doc a year ago that I liked better, but this was still a good movie.
  • My Kid Could Paint That. A really good documentary. Saw it twice.
  • Shoot 'Em Up. LOVED this movie. Didn't know a thing about it, but it was totally fun and exciting to watch.
  • Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Thought it wouldn't be that good, but I really liked it a lot. So funny, especially if you think penises are funny (who doesn't?).
  • In Bruges. Truth is I only saw this movie because I actually loved Bruges when we visited last year. I came for the tourism but stayed for the whole movie. Not a comedy, not a drama. Enjoyable.
  • Billy Childish is Dead. This is a really great documentary of artist/punk musician Billy Childish.
Care to share any good movies that you've seen recently? Comment with your picks! Okay, now why isn't there a Good Reads/Library Thing for movies?

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger myra-lee said...

I just saw Man on Wire and thought it was really great! Also, I loved Son of Rambow.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I second Son of Rambow. Funny, I was going to see Man on Wire tonight, but I'm too lazy to go out. :-) I saw American Teen a few weeks ago, and I liked that for the most part. I also saw (via netflix) Wristcutters: A Love Story, and enjoyed that.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Ange Friesen said...

For a film studies major, I'm sure not very critical. I like almost every movie I see, based solely on the fact that it is a movie. And I really like movies.

Favourites I saw this year: Iron Man and After the Wedding (amazing Danish movie).

Also: I really like Jemaine. Like, love.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Yeah, I think Jemaine is cute too, and I really enjoyed Eagle vs Shark. Speaking of Jemaine, is 'Flight of the Conchords' coming out with a 2nd season? I miss them...

I watched In Bruges and thought it was okay but personally I think my
husband liked it more than I did.

Thanks for the heads up on the movies!

One movie that you might enjoy is called "Teeth."

http://www.teethmovie.com/

I watched it recently and if you think penises are funny then it's got plenty of penis action. Be warned however, it's also a bit gross/horrific in some scenes.

Have you ever visited the site "Rotten Tomatoes?" It's kind of like the film version of "good reads".

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/

3:21 PM  
Blogger kickpleat said...

myra-lee, i really want to see Man on Wire too! I'll totally check out Rambow, as well. Thanks!

Good to know about Rambow, Melissa! I've never even heard about it. I really really want to see American Teen...I just don't think it's come to Vancouver yet! I'll check out the other one too. Thanks for the recs :)

Ella, I was a film studies major too! Good to see another Jemaine lover ;)

Bijoux, don't know about a 2nd season, but you should find the original radio version of the FotC. It's pretty awesome too. I'll totally check out teeth.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Ange Friesen said...

From what I read FOTC is going to do a second season, but it's kind of an eventual thing, that they don't really know when it will come out. Apparently the first season used up most of their material.

If you search on youtube for flight of the conchords it comes up with a bunch of their live performances, which are somehow eight thousand times more hilarious than their (hilarious) TV show.

I shouldn't know all this.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Ange Friesen said...

And oh - Jemaine just got married.

I just just learned this.

Sigh.

Oh well. I'll find my guy.

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looove Eagle vs. Shark! If you haven't, find the you tube clip from his show where he sings "It's Business Time", ha ha ha!

In the past two weeks, I've now seen two Indie films about American high school kids on debate teams. The first, Thumbsucker, was good. The second, Rocket Science, was better, kind of. Both have redemming qualities.

Also, Stranger Than Fiction with Will Ferrell is great. Alas, it seems all movies come to DK years after the original release so you've probably seem 'em all.

Oh yes!!! Dammit. See The Band's Visit. It's amazing. See it. That's an order.

2:17 PM  
Blogger eviedee said...

I really wanted to see Eagle vs Shark but I forgot all about it. . . until now!! Thanks for the suggested viewings! Also, last year when I traveled to Vancouver you were kind enough to make some restaurant suggestions. Well hubby and I were back in your hood a few weeks ago and were able to try the Salt Tasting Room. AWESOMENESS! We loved it! We also went to Crave because we are crazy for the shorty poutine. It's a good thing we live no where near it because I would eat it everyday and gain 10,000 lbs. So, THANKS! :)

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home