Monday, February 19, 2007

new toy


This weekend, I got myself a kitchen scale! Even though we have a pretty sizable kitchen, our counter space is precious so I always put off the notion of needing a scale. But, when I saw this pretty little number at Lee Valley this weekend, I knew that the time for dealing with grams and ounces had finally come. Now, I can whip up the drool-worthy recipes found in my Nigella cookbooks. Feast and How to Be a Domestic Goddess, here I come!

We also purchased a new kitchen garbage bin by Umbra this weekend which is also pretty thrilling for me. Yes, I used thrilling and garbage in the same sentence. Now, if only there was a Container Store in Vancouver so I could purchase this trash bin for our bathroom. Sigh...my dreams have gone to trash.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Joanne said...

Lovely kitchen bling!!
And functional too :)

I guess grams and ounces is a British thing??

Question: Do you not find Nigella's approach to cooking to be a bit heavy handed in the butter, cream, eggs and saturated fats category?

Don't get me wrong, her food always looks so delicious.

I guess when you are pushing 30-something-something-something (ahem!...moi)- indigestion and 'lardy' foods go hand in hand.

Anyhow, I look forward to seeing what you create from "Feast."

p.s. Lee Valley is such a cool place to find unexpected items. I especially like the "watchmakers tins" for storing my beads 'n stuff.

1:09 PM  
Blogger seeldee said...

Ha ha! Jeannette, I have scale envy! I've eyed that same scale numerous times and yet I've never picked it up. I make Nigella Lawson recipes all the time and use this tiny 1lb/500g scale to do so. It's tedious!

Speaking of NL recipes, make the chocolate Easter cake in Feast the next time you're having company for dinner - it's easy and impressive. The same cake is in Nigella Bites with a different topping, which I prefer to the mini eggs; whip a cup of fresh whipping cream along with a tablespoon of cointreau or triple sec, etc. and heap it on top of the cake just before serving along with a little cocoa powder sifted on top. But don't put orange flavour in the actual cake, like Nigella Bites advises; it's too over-the-top that way. Delish!

...and to Joanne: yes, I think Nigella Lawson has a mild obsession with butter, full cream, eggs, bacon, etc. Her stuff is definitely not everyday food, that's for sure. (or Everyday Food, for that matter)

PS Hey Jeannette, we have two new six-month-old kittens. Check 'em out on our flickr account!

3:08 PM  
Blogger seeldee said...

I forgot to tell you, Aaron says 'hi'. We miss you guys!

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Joanne said...

Update: We use to have "that" trash bin for grocery bags. I think we purchased it from Canadian Tire. Not sure what happened to it - me thinks it was left behind during our move.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Fiber said...

I love that trash can. I actually have one in my bedroom (I found it at Kmart actually) and adore it.
I only wish there was one that had a lid.

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home