Friday, July 20, 2007

what can you buy for $15?


Apparently, quite a bit. I headed out for some groceries at my local Chinatown market and came back with 3 really heavy bags of stuff for only $15. Not bad!

1 can each of lentils, black beans, chickpeas
2 cans of fire roasted organic tomatoes
1 box of Annie's mac & cheese (it's a rainy day guilty pleasure!)
3 doz corn tortillas
1 bag of organic carrots
1 bunch celery
2 yellow peppers
1 red pepper
2 green peppers
1 head purple cabbage
1 cauliflower
1 bag of local nugget potatoes

Where all the other Chinatown markets had 3 english cucumbers for $1, Sunrise had them 6 for a $1! I didn't end up buying any because 1 cuke keeps us going for a week. But seriously, if you want to shop cheaply, Chinatown is the place to do it. Vancouver is lucky because cheap eats are everywhere! Cheap groceries, cheap restaurants, and most of it is really, really good.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not so in Toronto...groceries are costly. Very costly! For example, Annie's Mac & Cheese is around $5.00 here.
We normally spend up to $700 a month for groceries and there's only two of us (no pets) and we rarely - if ever buy meat. We seldom buy organic - which is even more pricey. Go figure! And those avocados, I mentioned a while ago as costing $1.20 per fruit in the Winter are still $1.20 even now in Summer. So I've been sans avocados for over 2 months now debating if I should buy one...one!!
Of course, Chinatown in TO beats all other places to shop for groceries when it comes to frugal shopping. It is a bit of a distance for me to go there regularly. But I'm convinced that it's totally worth it in the end.
Maybe I should get food poisoning more often so I can go without food (and save money) for days afterwards as I recover from the ill effects of tainted fish. Just kidding! I love food to much :D

4:11 PM  
Blogger eviedee said...

The best food that we had on our trip from Los Angeles to Vancouver was found your lovely city. I'll definately be back!
I've had a lot of luck buying cheap produce at Latin markets, I'll have to give Chinatown a try.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This post really makes me miss Vancouver!

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

joanne---where on earth are you shopping?? i'm just one person in toronto and i do buy meat regularly and i usually spend about 200-250 a month... and i'm a lot less frugal than i used to be...

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home