Monday, January 14, 2008

the perfect weekend.


This weekend was pretty fun. On Saturday, I went geocashing for the first time and had a very fun little adventure that included breaking into fences, discovering a new island and searching under rocks. I stupidly left my camera at home.


After we put away our bikes and dried off, we headed out again for groceries around our 'hood and we discovered that construction workers had been ripping out all the vintage school fixtures from an old elementary school a few blocks away. I picked up a couple of vintage wall art hangings and an old cloakroom shelf/coat hook thingy. As we were leaving, I noticed an old vintage wood and glass cupboard, so i hid it as best I could and after Cornelius and I returned our groceries back home, we went back for it. Oooh, it was so heavy, but we managed to carry it back home the 4 blocks with much stopping. After a small bit of wiping down we had found the perfect spot in our hallway as our booze cabinet/bar ware holder/cookbook shelf! I love it. One day I'll repaint it white and paint the insides a nice light blue, but for now, it's perfect as is.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, I am envious of your cupboard - beautiful! I like the sound of a light blue on the inside.

Our family loves geocaching - it's taken us places we might never have thought to explore. We've hooked a number of our friends on it, too, including the 12-year-old son of one couple we know. I never thought about how educational it is until we went with him - we talked about geography, geology, math, navigation... (none of them *my* strong points!)

You can see pics of some of the places we've gone (okay, mostly places my husband has gone) at his blog: http://michaelpealow.blogspot.com and click on the "geocaching" category.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

wow - your glass & wood cabinet. How lovely! plus free and recycled. Perfect.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SCORE! Now that I hear they are going to plan to get rid of some elementary schools in the westside...I am going to be making treks over and lurk for possible booty. The cupboard is a real find! looks great!

Don't you just miss cloakrooms ( I even miss the word) and cubbies.

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geocashing sounds like fun. This is something i will have to look onto - for sure!
Good for you for carrying that cupboard home. I probably would have wimped out after 5 minutes of huffing and puffing. It looks great! What a great idea. For some reason I am never able to find curbside finds that are in good enough shape to be salvaged. Maybe I'm looking on the wrong places?

5:36 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

OHHH as heavy as it was, it was worth it! Looks fantastic!!!!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home