Friday, April 25, 2008

get ready, get set, plant!


While the flowers and blossoms have been out since early March, Vancouver still doesn't feel quite like spring just yet. I'm so eager to start on my balcony garden but have no idea how to begin again since all my old plants are dead. The picture above was last year around this time when things were hopeful rather than dismal. Thankfully, I've come across a couple of blogs to get me started.


The first is my number one gal pal, Kyla who has a great new blog called Make! Do! Manifesto. Her latest project is about reusing and gussying up some old cardboard canisters for planting. I love the idea of re-using rather than tossing old containers for plants...and making them cute to boot!


Blogger Beth also tackles some old tomato cans, paints them a pretty turquoise and sets them on her window sill. Pretty!

Now all I need is the weather to cooperate with me and I can finally get started on my own balcony garden.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh thanks for the link lovin'. Hopefully I won't kill everything I've got growing either. It's probably too early to tell, but things seem to be healthy so far (I've got lots of little tomato sproutlings to blog about soon). Cross your green thumbs for me!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Hang in there. The weather will perk up in no time. Despite the weather being great, I have yet to get started on decorating the patio with plant and flowers. The garden centre near home is full of beautiful plants and flowers and clay earthen pots and bags of soil, but given that I no longer work, it's kind of hard to spend cash on plants and flowers.

6:29 AM  
Blogger kickpleat said...

beth, i'm crossing my fingers!

joanne, are you going to school full time now?

2:08 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

hi Kickpleat - Actually, I have been taking evening courses for the past 2 years to upgrade my OCAD diploma to a Degree in Design. OCAD is now considered a University and are offering Degrees to Alumni. I have one course left and I am debating when to take it - summer or fall?

On another note, the Corporation I worked for tanked and laid off over 75 people - including me. So I have been a member of the "dead beat" club for 2 weeks now. This totally sucks because we had plans for this summer which now have to be put on the back burner.

Ideally I would LOVE to work as a shoe designer. But there are no such industries here in TO and as such I would have to move to the US, China, you know - wherever these industries are located, which I am not prepared to do right now.

Going to France this summer and buying a home will have to wait...boo!

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the canister idea! it's cute--i've seen chives grown in old coffee cans! i'm glad you have a balcony where you can grow things. i'm tellin' ya--definitely try growing strawberries again this year--your old plant just might revive. also, thanks for the link to your friend kyla's blog. i'll definitely check it out!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Wolfie and the Sneak said...

get on You Grow Girl, you've never seen so much plant inspiration, I swear!
Happy gardening!

5:14 AM  
Blogger kickpleat said...

too bad about your job, bijoux!

bellcurves, i've been trying to revive my old plants, but it's not looking good!

sk8ordiehard, i do have that book! i guess it's time to take another peek inside.

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home