Wednesday, August 11, 2010

on being alone



Thanks twitter I saw this lovely video, which is in part created by Andrea Dorfman (who is a Halifax film director that I love). I feel comfortable being alone and I loved that small break between boyfriends and roommates when I had my own little bachelorette apartment just off of Commercial Drive. That space gave me time to recover and grow and get to know myself a little better. I took my bike to local parks and read under trees in the middle of the day. I wandered new neighbourhoods alone in my thoughts. I went to matinees and loved being in the dark cold theater by myself with only a handful of others.

This weekend my husband will head off on a 2 week bike trip and I'll be left alone for the first time since we've been together. I'm slightly nervous that while he's out riding the mountainous roads that a bear will make a lunch out of his face or that he'll get smooshed by a careless RV driver – I want him returned to me in fine form at the end of his holiday. I will miss him greatly over those 2 weeks, I'm sure. What I'm not nervous about is being alone. It does feel weird that it's been about 8 years since I'll have spent days alone, but now that I'm thinking about it, I am excited about getting back in touch with the "alone me".

9 Comments:

Blogger arajane said...

i'd been seeing this all over facebook and twitter, but finding it here convinced me to finally watch it. so glad i did! i love my pal and boyfriend very much, but i, too, love being alone.

6:36 AM  
Anonymous kickpleat said...

ara jane, me too. i had seen it floating about but didn't click on it until someone i know linked to it. it's so sweet.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous katie said...

Thanks for posting this. Like you and arajane, I'd seen this floating around but hadn't watched it until you posted it. My best friend is going through a divorce right now and she's terrified of being lonely, having never lived alone before. Exactly what she needs to see right now! Thanks.

1:57 PM  
Blogger bellcurves said...

good luck flying solo! enjoy your girl-alone-time, or as my friend likes to say when her hubby is away, "GAT".

9:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

After you posted this, and HM followed suit, I finally I watched. I will now continue the chain-letterness of it and pass it along. Thanks!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Wolfie and the Sneak said...

I used to love going to the bookstore alone or even out to eat by myself but it's easy to forget how nice alone time can be when you're in a relationship.
have fun!

5:15 AM  
Blogger Fynn Larie said...

Even if we know all these things about alone time, it is wonderful to see them so artfully put together and narrated.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Joseph Gregory said...

"breath seeking peace and salvation"
beautiful.

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Christine R said...

I have been enjoying reading your blog, it takes me back home as I grew up on Vashon Island not far from where you are.

I wish you luck on your solo time, use it to do things that will pamper yourself, try not to worry all will be ok and the homecoming will be special.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home