Sunday, October 01, 2006

books. yum!

This morning I read a short story by Alice Munro in her book, Runaway, and then I read another and another. Her writing is so beautiful and sharp that it makes me weep. I've been doing a lot of reading lately.

Toast by Nigel Slaterwas very enjoyable. I love food writers and memoirs and his memories of people and time and place are so entangled with food and tastes and smells that to share in them is decadent and delightful as the darkest chocolate cake.

I also just finished reading Garlic & Sapphires by Ruth Reichel. I've read all of her books and this one was as wonderful as her first. Her writing makes me want to visit the best restaurants and try foods as poetic as they must be in the mouth as they are on the written page. Reading her books makes me want to be a better writer and be less flippant or quick to hit "post". And I guess any book that leaves you with that feeling that you can do better, has done more than it's job.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home